My name is Mrs. Jill Thompson and I am a Personalized Learning Program Manager. I was previously an instructional technology specialist, a math and science facilitator and taught in the classroom for eight years prior to that. I grew up in the Syracuse, New York area. I am a graduate of Salem State College in Salem, Massachusetts and have obtained a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education and Bachelor of Arts in English. I have obtained my AIG (Academically or Intellectually Gifted) licensure at UNCC and at Winthrop University I obtained my Masters in Curriculum and Instruction! I am also the President and CEO of Edulum a education consulting company. Every Sunday night at 8:00 PM EST I co-host #21stedchat with David Prindle.
I enjoy spending time with my husband, Josh. We got married in Jamaica! I have two younger brothers. My brother, John, is a basketball coach at UAB and my other brother, Eric, is a YMCA director.
My educational philosophy as an educator is to create a positive 21st century learning environment for students; setting the stage for their entire academic life. Teaching a rich, meaningful, and well balanced curriculum of skills and concepts through age appropriate activities, will encourage children to want to become life long learners. I believe in building upon a child’s curiosity and encourage them to pursue new knowledge. I believe in authentic real world teaching that is innovative and will help our students succeed in the 21st century. The children we teach today are the future of the world; their goals and beliefs are taken from what we provide for them. If we provide a positive learning environment to all our children that encourages good values and high expectations, the students will foster life long learning skills.
Awards and Honors
- #21stedchat #Bammyaward Nominated 2015
- ASCD Presenter 2014, 2016
- ASCD Emerging Leader – Class of 2013
- Named one of the top 25 North Carolina Educators to Follow
- Featured on the list of 100 Top Experts in #EdTech and #eLearning by BestCollegeRankings.org
- Technology Literacy Conference (TLC) Presenter 2013
- North Carolina Technology in Education Society (NCTIES) Presenter, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Teacher Fellowship of Charlotte Class of 2012
- CATO Award for Science Educator, 2012
- Outstanding STEM Educator, 2012
- DEN STAR, 2012
- Bank of America Outstanding CMS Teacher, 2012
- Arts & Science Council’s- Cato Excellence in Teaching Awards Finalist, 2012
- Nominated for Presidential Award for Science, 2010, 2012
- Awarded iPad grant from Autism Speaks – Greater Charlotte Chapter, 2011
- Nominated for Leaders of Tomorrow, 2010
- J.V. Washam’s Teacher of the Year, 2009
- Terrific Teacher Tuesday Award sponsored by V101.9 FM and local businesses, 2009
- Nominated for the Employee Excellence Award, 2009