“I read a book one day and my whole life was changed.” By Orhan Pamuk
If you have been reading my blog you know I LOVE to read! If you haven’t been reading my blog, you now know. I like to share the books I read with others because I am a believer in knowledge is power and that we all need to work together. I usually share my book recommendations about three times a year. Here is my Fall edition in no particular order.
- Radical Candor: Be a Kick-Ass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity by Kim Malone Scott
- This book explains how you can become a Kick-Ass boss to build sound relationships, achieve results, and create a better workplace. This is not a typical education book which is why I like it even better because it has so many great ideas we can apply to education sector.
- Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones by James Clear
- This book changed my life. I have not only improved my habits but I have been using the formula with educators all over the country to help change classroom habits that we either need to build or change.
- The Power of Moments: Why Certain Experiences Have Extraordinary Impact by Chip Health
- Moments shape our lives; this book discusses how we can create impactful moments for others. As educators creating moments for students is a lot of what we do but how can we make these moments more impactful. This book share lots of ideas ands I guarantee will spark some new ideas for you.
- Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well by Douglas Stone
- Feedback builds personal and professional growth. Feedback is a difficult conversation for both the giver and the receiver. This book discusses the three feedback triggers and the three things you need to give effective feedback.
- Personalized Professional Learning: A Job-Embedded Pathway for Elevating Teacher Voice by Allison Rodman
- Learn how to transform existing professional development programs into innovative, empowering learning experiences that meet staff’s real needs and align with school and district priorities. A must read!
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg
- Another book about habits that I have enjoyed and learned a lot from! This book explains more about why habits exist and how we can change them.
- Liminal Thinking Create the Change You Want by Changing the Way You Think
by Dave Gray
- I am a big advocate for how we in education need to think differently. This book explains nine practices of how to change our thinking so we can change the world.
- Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered by Austin Kleon
- This book is about how to influence others by letting them steal from your ideas. In education we need to do a better job of sharing what we know and our work to help others and spark ideas. This book does a great job of sharing how to do this without being a self-promoter. From the author same author of Steal Like an Artist that I have mentioned in previous book recommendations and don’t be surprised to see his third book in the next recommendation list!
The book I am most excited about (and already pre-ordered) is coming out this Fall: The NEW Team Habits: A Guide to The New School Rules by
I would love to hear any book recommendations you have, please share in the comments. Happy Reading!