“Never stop learning, because life never stops teaching.” Unknown
Summer is here for some of us or very close for others. Here is a list of ten professional development opportunities you can take advantage of to help improve your practice. Most are free, some do cost money but see if your school can pay for you.
- Sophia: Sophia provides free and affordable online courses (you can earn college credit too) that offer a great way to accelerate educational success. I take the courses for free and don’t get college credit (that’s the part that costs money). Here is a list of courses. They also have free PD modules that also allow you to earn certificates that I have taken as well…actually I have taken all of them. 🙂
- Book Study: Create a book study group by getting teachers together or join one. Need a book suggestion? Here is my previous post on summer reads for 2016.
- Ted Talks: Search the site by topic to see what interests you to push your thinking.
- Code Academy: I am no expert coder but I know enough to be dangerous and I learned at code academy.
- Lynda: Learn something new on Lynda, an online video tutorial website.
- STEAM Integration Online Conference: I have not attend this but have heard great things.
- Webinars: There a lot of free teacher webinars that you can take advantage of by simply googling. Here is a list of ASCD webinars that can get you started.
- Ed Tech Teacher Worshop: Ed Tech Teacher and Google have partnered to offer PD around the country on supporting technology integration.
- Edcamps: A fun, free, unconference PD with other educators from different places. See where one is happening in your state.
- Twitter: There are tons of chats that you can join, here is a list. I, of course, think one of the best is #21stedchat (Sundays 8:00 PM EST) as I am the co-creator along with David Prindle.