“If a child can’t learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn.”
By Ignacio Estrada
This is my first summer that I am a 12 month employee so I technically don’t get a ‘summer break’ but I still think it is important to make summer goals. These are my top things I will do this summer.
1. Attend an educational conference to better my practice! I am attending Edulum’s Educational Conference. For my readers that are in NC/SC this conference is at UNCC on Aug 2nd 8:30-3:00 for only $30.00! There are presenters from all levels from K-12 and from different parts of the Carolinas. The conference theme is Engage, Enrich and Empower. The tickets are selling fast because it is so cheap. For more info or to purchase your tickets click here.
2. Complete at least one Massive Open Online Course (MOOC)! To decide what MOOC course best meets your professional development needs check out this MOOC list. I am going to learn to code better by using Codecademy.
3. Read! I read often alternating educational books with what I call my ‘fun’ reads. For my educational read I want to read Drive by Daniel Pink. For my fun read I want to read the sequel to Firefly Lane by Kristen Hannah, Fly Away. I like keeping track of my books on Goodreads.com and my goal is to read a book a week!
4. Write an article or a quest blog post or both! I have been asked to write articles and quest blog posts but the timing has not always worked out. This summer I want to either write an article or quest blog post to help challenge myself as an educational reflector.
5. Work on balancing work and life. As I stated before, I am working all summer. My goal is to work within my summer schedule of 10 hour days- 4 days a week. This means no work at night during the week, nothing on Fridays or the weekend.
6. Personal goals! Just as it is important to have educational goals, it is important to have personal goals too. I will paint our bedroom and finish the makeover I started over winter break! I will clean our spare bedroom that has become a dumping ground. I will work-out at least 5 days a week.
Of course I will still blog once a week and share what I am learning. I would love to hear you personal/professional goals. Good luck in your efforts to set and reach these goals.